Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wee'an


Our first 2007 calf was born sometime between last night's and this morning's chores. For any non farmers out there chores are what we call jobs that get done morning and night every day like feeding, watering, moving livestock (milking for dairy farmers) and are usually like bookends for the rest of the days' work.
When I fed the cows their hay last night I checked to see if any of them were thinking about having their calves soon and didn't see anything. Part of our philosophy on raising cattle is that they should be able to have their calves without any help from us. I have heard some people say that they go on vacation when their cows are calving and when they get back what they have left is the cows and calves who are the fittest. I think that is a little extreme, and I certainly try to keep a close eye on them during calving time, but I probably wouldn't re-breed a cow that had a really hard delivery. But anyhow, this heifer had her calf without incident and the calf (a heifer) is up and eating and frisking around. I hope the other 15 do as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger sugarcreekfarm said...

Aw, how sweet. What breed is that? Ours should start dropping soon.

3/27/2007 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Peter comly said...

It should be Hereford, but with this one I am not sure. This and the one who calved Saturday night were ones I bought last summer and were aparently bred when I got them. But most of the cattle on that farm looked like straight Hereford. The one born Saturday looked more like I expected it would.

4/02/2007 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger Saska said...

We're almost to the end of our calving season. Only one set of twins this year and only one still-born. Guess who got to adopt one of the twins?!

Isn't it great to see miracles?

The cow looks Hereford, but the calf looks like a mixture of something else. Neighbor's bull?

4/12/2007 10:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home