Saturday, July 18, 2009

Roll' em






The combination of lousy haymaking weather, my geriatric farm machinery and the fact that I am starting to feel old after a long day of stacking hay bales has inspired me to give round bales a try. Our neighbors Randy and Jamie Loch have a flock of sheep in addition to their Maple syrup and fiber mill businesses, so they have a round baler like almost every one around here but me. We are basically stuck in the sixties machinery wise. Anyway, we do a fair amount of barter with the Lochs, generally meat for machine and operator hire. Since I needed to get some of our first cutting done quickly I thought that having Randy round bale it would be the quickest option. And then our hay mower fell and broke her hip, so Randy ended up mowing it with the discbine that he uses as well.



I picked up a round bale spear to mount on the tractor front end loader so I should be ready to start hauling the 75 bales or so out of the field by this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home