Monday, April 06, 2009

"Dark Age Technology" or "Cattle Panels are Garbage"



This fall when I moved the cows into the Cow Shed East that we built last winter I opted to take the quick and easy option of buying cattle panels to use as fencing. I am sure that the cattle panel company would have offered a warning that these panels need a little more in the way of support than I was offering them, but we had abused them in the past with pretty good results. And since I was short on time and not absolutely broke I figured even at $38 dollars a piece that the panels were the way to go. Somewhere along the line though they decided to stop bothering to really weld them together, and a few short months after installing them I realized it was going to be money not well spent.





So last week I went back to using dark age technology (with a few modern twists) and cut a bunch of wooden poles out of the woods, which I attached to the shed posts with pieces of angle iron with steel loops welded to them to hold the poles.

3 Comments:

Blogger Art Blomquist said...

Dark technology is sometimes the brightest. Like your "U" bolt + welded bracket Idea. Hope there's no patent on it as I am going to use it for a bit of Temp fencing I have coming up.

4/09/2009 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger sulman farooq said...

The difference they made is already apparent, though. I cleaned Lucy's stall early this morning and it took me so much Chicken coops
less time with the mats than without.

4/14/2014 08:51:00 AM  
Blogger sulman farooq said...

if everything you need is packed. If nobody will be left behind, ensure that the house is locked properly.AA Route Planner

6/05/2014 06:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home