Thursday, July 12, 2007

Roller Bin



This year we finally got to the point where it made sense for us to start getting our poultry feed delivered in bulk 3 tons at a time. For the past five years we have been getting our feed made up a ton at a time. There were problem with that method. I had to go pick it up which takes time and gas. There were lots of plastic feed sacks involved (100 per month last year) that could not be returned or recyled. Having a pallet full of chicken feed in bags was beginning to draw in vermin, And expense. I had been looking around for a while for a used feed bin, but they always seem a little expensive, or in bad shape, and hard to move. Plus they need to be installed on some sort of concrete foundation. Then I remembered seeing a gravity wagon that someone had built a roof on and realized that this was probably the best solution to the problem.

So I went to a farm sale about 2 weeks ago that had 2 gravity wagons in it. I got beat at the sale, but after the bidding a man came up to me and told me he had one that he would take $700 bucks for. Now it has a roof on it. The roof just props up for filling. It is a flat roof, but since we don't have a level spot on the farm no matter where you park it it always has a pitch. Yesterday the first batch of feed was delivered. The best part about it is that after is is filled I can pull it out to the pasture where most of the chickens and turkeys are. This way I don't have to haul bags of feed out there every day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home