Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hill Side Leveling



Walter Jeffries from Sugar Mountain Farm recently had a post about level and hill sides. We are in the same boat. The only level spot we have on the farm is where we stop going up one side of the hill and start going down the other. As a matter of fact we can roll about a mile to the east, a mile to the west, and about a quarter mile to the south.

When we began building the farm store I lost most of my machinery storage area, so I decided to put a shed roof off the back of the big old chicken house the store is going to be in. The trouble was that the hill away from the back of this building is pretty steep, which would make backing machinery under this roof and keeping it from rolling away a little tricky. After I decided on building this shed I started looking out for free/cheap fill. The state brought me about 10 loads this summer, then last week a neighbor at the bottom of the hill began work on the opposite problem. He wants to build a garage but there is a hill in his way. So he has to dig out a tremendous amount of rock and dirt to make a level spot. I hired another neighbor to haul this material up to make level spot at the top of the same hill. Ironically some of this dirt probably started out up here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you have a web site and even better, a blog. Now I can know what is going on. No one ever tells me anything. Nice to see the work coming along. I keep thinking I should have a genealogy blog but I guess it's just as easy to email for now. Love, Lydia

10/07/2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

*grin* So we make flat spots on our rolling hills! :)

12/16/2006 12:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home