Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Cookstove dilemma

The Bengal
The Kalamazoo

Don Lee, our local antique and flooring shop owner stopped by the other day for some eggs. I happened to be leaning against the Bengal Blue Jet cookstove we have in the kitchen, warming my back. I do that a lot in the winter while I am looking out the window at all the work that needs to be done. Don asked me if I wanted a smaller cookstove to go there. He owned one that needed to be moved that I could have for the price of a few meat chickens. So I went and picked it up on Saturday. It is a 6 burner Kalamazoo. The dilemma is this (get ready for the most irrelevant question you have ever contemplated). The Bengal is in better condition and has a good spot to lean on without getting burned. The Kalamazoo is smaller and would fit in our kitchen better, and it has more character. The Kalamazoo, though smaller, has six burners, while the Bengal has only 4, plus 4 gas burners which we don't use. I'd just swap them out for a while to see which I like better except they are really heavy, so they aren't much fun to move. We are planning on building an on farm sales building and which ever one doesn't end up in the kitchen will end up out there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss the question? Which stove to keep?

2/17/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know! Expand the kitchen and keep both!

2/17/2006 08:06:00 PM  
Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

Nice stove. The second one. It looks like the exact same as my great grandmothers which is now in my mother's house collecting dust in one corner of the kitchen. My father set it up but they don't actually use it. The kitchen in that house is so tiny it would be overwhelming. When I was younger they had it setup in a much larger kitchen when we lived elsewhere and there (multiple places) and we actually cooked on it then in the winter.

2/28/2006 05:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say switch to the Kalamazoo in the kitchen . . . definitiely mroe charming . . . and use the extra room you've made to fit the new chair you design and build yourself so that you can rock away while looking out the window at all the work you have to do! You might have to design it so it sits you up high enough to look out the window. Or heck, put in a window that starts lower to the ground. One new project begets two or three or more . . .

7/23/2006 06:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home